Welcome to Intensive Care Medicine (ICM) training in the Northern deanery.
We have more than 30 ICM trainees now in post, with approximately 80% of our trainees within a dual training scheme with anaesthesia. The remaining 20% of our trainees are dual training with respiratory medicine (RM), acute internal medicine (AIM) or doing single CCT training in ICM. Within ICM we also have trainees who are doing academic posts and are doing / have achieved research level degrees.
ICM training in the Northern deanery is based over 5 hospital sites, although other our training sites may be accessed if necessary:
- Freeman (transplant, hepato-biliary, CICU, vascular)
- Royal Victoria Infirmary (burns, PICU, major trauma, NICU, occasionally RM)
- James Cook University (NICU, major trauma, spinal, vascular, upper GI, CICU)
- Northumbria specialist emergency care centre (AIM, Anaesthesia and general ICM)
- Sunderland Royal Hospital (General ICM)
Most of the training time when in ICM is split between the Newcastle Upon Tyne NHSFT (RVI, Freeman) and South Tees NHSFT (JCUH) sites. Hospital profiles can be found here
All rotations meet FICM curriculum requirements and are designed with trainee’s individual career choices in mind. We offer supernumerary and acting up experience whenever possible in the final stages of training.
Our region has been highly instrumental in driving change within ICM training on a national level. In region we currently have the Dean of FICM, two FICM council members’, a co-lead for national recruitment, the deputy lead RA for FICM, and the deputy lead for e-portfolio.
ICM ARCPs currently run in a joint forum with anaesthesia, with additional Intensivist panel members and assessors.
Training Programme Director:
ICM trainees will be invited to attend an ICM induction morning organised by the Programme Directors. Details will be emailed to you. The Trainee ICM Forum will follow.
We have an active Trainee Forum within ICM with trainee representation on the ICM STC, the School Executive Committee and at HEE NE board level. We also have a LTFT trainee rep and Lead Consultants in all training units.
ICM Training Days
Dual trainees who wish to undertake a specialist interest in a particular area of anaesthesia, will need to do this whilst undertaking General Duties.
Trainees will need to be flexible to which hospital they undertake a special interest as placements cannot always be guaranteed.
This is not an Advanced module.
RCoA 2010 Curriculm
RCoA Annex F basic ICM competency grids for Core and ACCS trainees: this lists the mandatory competencies that must be completed in the 3 month ICM block.
RCoA Annex F intermediate ICM competency grids for ST3 trainees: this lists the mandatory competencies that must be completed in the 3 month ICM block in ST3/ST4.
ICM Educational Supervisor meeting paperwork
Intensive Care Medicine – Educational Supervision Meetings
Trainees are to currently use the FICM 2010 ETR to record their meetings
This will eventually be replaced as the curriculum requirements have changed, however we are currently waiting to see if the FICM introduce a new ETR for the 2011 Curriculum.
Lead Employer Trust – Junior Doctors Contract 2016 Implementation FAQs
The LET will be updating these FAQs on a regular basis, so please keep reviewing them for further details on the new contract.
Additional ICM resources:
Dual ICM guide
Detailed electronic log book
ICM e learning modules:
Research ICU regional contacts:
This website gives the contacts for research teams at different sites along with some information on major studies and activities at each site. Trainees can use this resource to make early contact with research teams and plan research activity
Deceased Donation courses for ICM trainees: http://www.deceaseddonationsim.com/courses/national/ICMTrainees/